Development Manager with an Awareness of Application Security
Results-oriented developer with a focus on application portability, reuse, and use of Open Source tools where available to bridge gaps in application abilities versus customer needs.
- Track record of increasing responsibility in network security, systems analysis and development, and full lifecycle project development.
- Demonstrated capacity to implement innovative security programs that drive awareness, decrease exposure, and strengthen organizations.
- Hands-on experience leading all stages of system development efforts, including requirements definition, design, architecture, testing, and support.
- Adept at developing effective security requirements/designs, project documentation and milestones, and technical/business specifications.
- Proven leadership and personnel management experience in both military and civilian settings.
Application/web development, testing and hardening, Intrusion analysis. Supervisory and employee training experience.
- Platforms: Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows operating systems 3.1 – 7), Linux (Gentoo, Ubuntu, RedHat, CentOS).
- Tools: MySQL, PostgresQL, SVN, Git, Packeteer, Virus Protection Utilities, Spyware Detection and Removal Utilities, Aide, Tripwire, tcpdump, Snort, ACID, Nessus, Ethereal, Nmap, OpenSSH, Open Office and Microsoft Office System (including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, and Microsoft Outlook), Adobe CS6, NetBeans, iReport.
TUNE, Seattle, Washington June 2011 – Present
Software Development Engineer
Design and develop back-end software in PHP and Bash to integrate existing and in-development products with outside vendors’ products and services.
- Engineered the system used by TUNE platforms to centralize the billing, signup and third-party integrations in one location. This replaced an aging system built against one of the TUNE platforms that was not scalable nor extensible enough to extend the functionality to other platforms.
- Created the third-party integrations (in SOAP and REST) between the core products and Zuora (for billing), Salesforce (CRM) and others.
- Designed and developed the REST API adjunct to the system listed above to allow TUNE platforms to interact with our third-party vendors without having to implement their own integrations into those vendors.
- Led the development team in weekly meetings with stakeholders, sprint planning, design and architecture planning, road-map development and execution of those plans.
UpSellUSA, Inc., Shoreline, Washington May 2009 – May 2011
Lead Developer/Development Manager
Work closely with the Project Manager to develop software requirements specifications and develop project plans based on those specifications to support clients including three Fortune 500 companies. Provide technical feedback to Project Manager and clients regarding feasibility and time estimates of projects to meet the needs of the client. Manage and train junior developers. Work closely with the hosting provider to ensure that web and database servers are up-to-date and meet the needs of UpSellUSA and our applications. Managerial duties include employee performance reviews, time card and vacation approval and authorization and management of contractor development work.
- Moved from proprietary issue tracking system to an open source system, saving the company a substantial annual maintenance and licensing fee.
- Designed and led development of a new application which opened UpSellUSA’s loyalty rewards business to new business types.
- Created the specifications and project plan for a new flag-ship product for UpSellUSA which would allow the aging systems to be ported into a more modern, extensible architecture.
Rogers Software Development, Inc., Fairbanks, Alaska Oct 2007 – Dec 2008
Implement and develop Point of Sale system and Back Office software. Maintain, update and debug legacy code for the POS and Back office system written in PHP/AJAX and MySQL. Develop new functionality to enhance and expand current systems. Work with customers to ensure that development of new features and functionality meets their expectations. Assist new hires by familiarizing with the framework and application as a whole, and with specific questions regarding the software. Team leader for two projects.
- Designed an automated system for creating royalties reports, encrypting them and passing them off to the customer.
- Designed a custom reporting tool linking the PHP Back Office application to Jasper Reports to create printable reports in PDF, Word, Excel, CSV and OpenOffice formats.
- Developed the NextGen import tool to bring data from the Regis NextGen/FBOS system into the SuperSalon POS.
Alaska Pacific University, Anchorage, Alaska Feb 2003 – Sep 2007
Web Systems Administrator
Maintain and develop the University’s web presence. Administer and maintain web servers, web-related database servers, IDS servers, Linux backup servers and network shaping devices. Oversee and train the Web Content Apprentice. Keep current on network/server security and maintenance practices and apply them in the most efficient manner possible. Provide development and support for Open Source software used for Linux servers, web content and Distance Education. Monitor IDS sensors and generate administrative reports on most dangerous activities/trends, along with recommendations for mitigation.
- Instrumental in selecting and implementing network shaping devices, allowing the University to continue in its Distance Education role without the need for added bandwidth.
- Spearheaded the implementation of network security initiatives, including the building and placing of IDS sensors and ACID front end.
- Moved Linux web servers from the no-longer supported Red Hat to Gentoo, saving the University money both for upfront costs (Red Hat Enterprise Licensing) and in support hours.
- Saved the University tens of thousands of dollars per year by implementing Moodle, (an Open Source Course Management System) and showing that it was up to the task of replacing WebCT (a commercial Course Management System).
- Taught a college-level Basic Web Development course.
Self Employed, Anchorage, Alaska and Bremerton, Washington Jun 1999 – 2009
- Contributed search portion of the US Fish & Wildlife Service’s Digital Library System, tying their existing database with Java classes built on Lucene.
- Developed a monitored testing application to allow FCC license tests to be administered to distant locations via HTTP.
Ingram Labs, LLC, Seattle, Washington Jun 2000 – Nov 2000
- Worked on Flash 5 XML connectivity to a Java socket for transmission and retrieval of Jabber XML messages.
- Developed a Java application to provide by-city weather forecasts for all of Europe to a web interface, which automatically updated every hour with the newest information from AccuWeather.
Frye Art Museum, Seattle, Washington Aug 1999 – Sep 2000
Visitor Services Lead Provide security for the museum while assisting patrons by providing information about the museum, the museum’s permanent collection and the current exhibits.Key Contributions:
- Supervised weekend shifts, including developing schedules to insure complete security coverage, training for new employees, and resolving employee conflicts and issues.
Unickorn Press, Anchorage, Alaska Feb 1996 – Jun 1999
Education and Credentials
Bachelor of Science, IT – Security Emphasis from Western Governors University
Professional Training and Certifications
CCNA Security Feb 15, 2013 (CSCO12017211)
CompTIA Security+ Oct 6, 2012 (COMP001020053502)
CompTIA Project+ Aug 10, 2012 (COMP001020053502)
CIW Web Design Specialist Jan 6, 2012 (375720)
MCTS (Windows 7) Oct 14, 2011
CCNA Sep 2, 2011 (CSCO12017211)
CompTIA A+ IT Technician Jan 8, 2010 (COMP001020053502)
CIW Web Foundations Associate Jun 8, 2009 (375720)
CIW v5 Associate Jun 8, 2009 (375720)
GIAC Certified Intrusion Analyst
March 31, 2005 Analyst # 0792 expired
Completed SANS Securing Cisco Routers and Switches Course
Completed SANS Intrusion Analysis Course
Completed SANS Hacker Exploits and Techniques Course